The construction of the city theatre building was held in 1894–1897 and was funded by wealthy citizens. The author of the Classical building project was Victor Schroter. A lot of famous Russian drama actors and opera singers performed on the scene of the theatre. In 1999, after a complex reconstruction, Irkutsk Drama Theatre was supplied with modern equipment and became one of the best theatres in Russia. In 2003 in the square near the theatre a monument to the Irkutsk playwright Alexander Vampilov was opened.